[alberg30] Re: Backing down

Steve Weingart shw at gate.net
Thu Sep 17 15:14:01 PDT 1998

From: Steve Weingart <shw at gate.net>

I have been told that the Atomic 4 prop by CDI

http://www.sailcdi.com/

Will allow wide keeled boats (like our A30s) to back down reasonably.

It's a 12' X 7" prop that is wide all the way out to the blade tips.

The problem seems to be that there is so much backwash from the rear face
of the keel (and I'm sure that the rudder and hull contribute due to the
small prop aperature), that there is almost no reverse thrust.

Don Moyer of Moyer Marine says that he has had very food reports on it.

I was going to buy one, but since Wyvern is for sale, I'll leave that to
the next owner.

Reverse gives great breaking action, but the same unreliable reverse.  In
still water, starting slowly will work, but under windy or rough
conditions, forgetaboutit.  We use lines when we need to go backward for
docking, and the A30 turns so well we never really have any problems
without reverse, and that is in the nasty ICW here in FL.

<plug>
(for those who might be interested, info about Wyvern is at:
http://www.gate.net/~shw/sell.html
she is in great shape and ready to go
too much work forces the sale)
</plug> :-)