[alberg30] Re: Slab reefing diagram

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 1 09:28:22 PST 1999

From: Robert Kirk <kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov>

At 12:11 PM 3/25/99 EST, FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:
> [...]
>It's a rolling hitch to the boom slightly aft of where the leach cringle
would
>be when the foot is maximaly stretched; through the reef leach cringle,
aft to
>the fiddle block, then forward along the boom to your cleat or winch.
>You can use the SS fairleads to keep the line from dangling from the boom, or
>make wooden ones like I did that are flatter and less painful.
>When rigging, its not always obvious which reef line should go to which
>sheave on the fiddle block to prevent twisting and chafe, so it make take one
>or two tries to get the best location. ...

I wonder if there is an optimum distance aft of the cringle to position the
block on the boom?  Straight below the cringle is obviously the best  to
insure that the reef is all the way down to the boom. But you would also
like some outhaul effect by moving the block aft a little to keep tension
on thew foot. Too far aft and you're no longer pulling the foot all the way
down. It's hard for me to see how one fiddle block can handle the
positioning of both (or three) reef cringles.

Cheers,
Bob Kirk
Isobar #181