[alberg30] Re: Current thinking on bedding compounds?

Rick Leach RLeach at mbayaq.org
Fri Apr 23 18:25:45 PDT 1999

From: Rick Leach <RLeach at mbayaq.org>

Lee,

Sorry about the delay, I've been away and just got home to 113 unread
messages!  As far as your idea to bolt oversized Lexan to the
cabin...everyone has their opinion.  I did it with a 3/8" material known as
Hastaglas (a German product used in the skylight industry, sort of a
Lexan/Acrylic hybrid).  I had it in mind as a temporary arrangement to keep
El Nino's lashing at bay until I could get some new frames made up. (Mine
were powder.)  Well, they're still going strong two years later.  Some
thoughts...they do look a little too modern for the rest of the boat.  This
really bothered me at first, but hey, it was only temporary.  Over time
however, I stopped noticing and they seem natural enough to me now.
Besides, there aren't any other A30's around here to compare her with or any
"purists" to offend.  Plus, done this way, any leaks are instantly apparent.
No out-of-sight festering.  Using 1/2" Lexan would be "bomber" (West
Coast-speak), no need for storm covers!  Even so, if you go that route,
remember that the plastic is subject to considerable thermal expansion and
contraction.  Use a liberal bead of silicone and only take up on the
fasteners enough to spread the bead until it cures, then harden up to
compress it.  Also, don't countersink!  That will surely lead to cracking &
splitting.  Ideally, use round-head machine screws with a flexible washer
and slightly oversized holes.  The idea is to let the plastic "float" within
the flexibility of it's sealant and gaskets.  I cut the plastic to make a 1
1/8" overlap all around, then used a router and a 1/4" round-over bit around
the perimeter.  They came out great, on a more modern style boat I would be
totally content to leave it be.

If you want to see the results go here:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/Alberg30/images/sugarmagmooring2.jpg
I can snap some close-ups if you're interested.

I guess in the end I still consider it to be temporary, but it has been
cheap and effective while allowing me to get on to more pressing things.

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia #121