[alberg30] Re: Fuel tank replacement

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Fri Apr 2 07:10:01 PST 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Janet:

There is plenty of room under the cockpit for a 12-15 gallon tank while
still having enough room to adjust the stuffing box.    Both Alberg
Associations have templates to make up a custom pair of aluminium
stuffing box wrenches.   Any 10 inch pipe wrenches with the handles
shortened to about 8" will fit although you must duct tape over the
wrenches teeth or other wise protect the bronze on the stuffing box nut
from abrasion.

I would suggest you measure the tank of any A30 made after about 1971 as
they (the MKIII version, the boats went through several changes to the
structural design during the 20+ year production run) have the tank
under the cockpit.    Alberg 30 folks often balk at the notion of MKs in
the production run, but it is the easiest was to describe the
construction technique changes which remarkably had only a marginal
impact, if any, on the boats racing performance, hence the very positive
impact the "class associations" had in influencing the builder and
maintaining "class" integrity/continuity.

Fair winds,

J B, Sunstone KC-65