[alberg30] Re: A4 carb

David Swanson zira at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 21 17:06:09 PDT 1999

From: David Swanson <zira at mindspring.com>

All -

I have been using the hotter plugs for ~1 1/2 years.  They seemed to help
me.  As for the main jet & needle, these can be purchased fairly cheaply
from Fairweather Marine or others.  I know because I dropped one in the
bilge & it got up under the battery box area.  Try to get something
non-magnetic out from under there some time.

BTW, I would think running the motor under load for longer periods of time
would help, not make the carbon worse - IF you aren't running really rich,
or really lugging the engine, or something similar.

One other point - if you are running raw water cooling without a thermostat,
the low engine temperatures will contribute to carbon build up.

And finally, has anyone tried a CDI prop?

dls
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229