[alberg30] conversion to deisel?

Walshe walshe at unixg.ubc.ca
Wed Aug 4 22:56:08 PDT 1999

From: Walshe <walshe at unixg.ubc.ca>

Hello Everyone,
We've just(today!) purchased an Alberg 30(1966).  The previous owner
kept the boat well maintained while he was alive, but we're pretty sure
the Atomic 4 engine(sea water cooled) is toast since the boat had been
in the water unused for 6 years or so.  We will get it looked at, but in
the event it is really useless, what do you all think about the merits
of simply replacing the Atomic 4 with a rebuilt one, or should we go
over to deisel?  Besides the difference in cost(major), changing over
means everything has to be changed(eg. shaft, prop, exhaust, fuel
system, etc...), doesn't it?  On the other hand the advantages of
deisel  - quieter, safer, higher resale value seem pretty persuasive.
Still, the expense......

We took it out of the water this morning to have a survey done and to
have a good look underneath.  The survey was very positive where it is
important(the hull and structural integrity)- on the negative side, the
propellor has to be replaced, but the shaft is fine.  As well, the
through hulls were fine, but the seacocks need to be replaced.  Other
than that the boat is in great shape and just needs a bit(maybe more
than a bit) of TLC to brighten her up.   This engine thing is a major
expense so we'd like to make the right decision.  Any thoughts you might
have would be appreciated.

Catherine Walshe

You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com!
If you join ONElist’s FRIENDS & FAMILY program.  For details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html