[alberg30] diesel conversion

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Sun Aug 8 10:16:40 PDT 1999

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

Dear George:This is in response to your suggestion for all concerned
with diesel conversion.First of all I priced engines with every
manufacturer known to exist even chinese xing xing in calif.I chose the
Kubota p3-20-sm,this is a 3 cyl.fresh water heat exchanger/direct drive
raw water cooled 20 hp. at 3600rpm.It came with a hurt 2.o5 to 1 trans
which turns left hand.The dist. in pompano fl.guaranteed that this
transmission could be used either way without danger to unit.This engine
weighs in at 214# thats 104 less than a4 which means less draft or more
fuel capacity or cargo.I bought my engine in Miss.out of state from La.
with a tax savings of around $500.The engine with deluxe panel no taxes
$5395.I bought an off the shelf coupling blank and had it turned down to
fit existing 7/8" shaft.I still turn 12x6 two blade sail prop,but since
the clutch turns left hand and wheel is right I simply shift opposite of
what I want, a small inconvience for the time being.Coupling $39.The
existing tank for a4 was a plastic outboard one,in stbd locker high
above engine.Fuel had to be sucked up the tank then down,tank did not
have baffles in it which meant in rough water fuel sloshed around
causing the engine to become air bound.This was replaced with new
alum.tank with baffles(seperations)inside to keep fuel movement through
racor filter ,fuel outlet on side 1" from bottom,fuel return,vent,and
fuel fill on top of tank.I used old bronze cockpit inspection plate for
top of tank to remove and clean tank when necessary.Inspection plate
removed to install new bomar hatch.I cruise @2000 rpm and according to
my gps around 6 kts, at 2200 rpm the exhaust is under water which is not a
good practice.Next time I haul out I'll go to a slightly larger left
hand wheel which should give same speed with lower rpm.I ran for app.10
hrs. on 4 1/2 gallons diesel,so in the long run comparing diesel to gas
prices and gallons burned you might not pay the whole engine off but you
will recoup a good portion with frame of mind with diesel safety.Now Im
a welder by trade and the new engine bed I built in a days time,I did no
hot work in boat so each piece I fitted,then bolted in place,then remove
and welded,I used 3"x1/4" flat bar steel,buffed coated with rust
inhibitor,and painted.You could find a trade school,a friend of a friend
to help with engine bed,this is easy welding even for beginner,once the
bed is fitted.Two of my sons and myself carried the engine to the boat
and lowered into boat with ropes.You'll need two people for line up,one
in main cabin to move engine,and one working from rear with auto feeler
gauge to line up couplings.Electronics,harness, mechanic friend of mine
did it for $20 and a day on a sailboat.The engine bed is the most
difficult of all the conversion,if someone who has a scanner would give
me there address,I would be glad to send photos of before and after
installations and drawing of engine bed to share with others concerned.I
guess I spent around $5800 totally to convert to diesel,but thats what I
wanted,I wasn't worried about resale value,I've never bought anything in
my life and sold it for higher than I paid for it anyway yet.Don't get a
chevy when you can afford a caddy.Sorry for this long e-mail.
Dick Fillinich Galliano,La "High Spirits"#191 One other thing don't go
out and buy a Kubota just on my word,I talked to people who had them in
tractors for a long time and swears that you can't tear them up,and the
raw water pump is right in front of the engine.I'm always ready for an
adventure I bought a sail boat didn't I.