[alberg30] PHRF QUESTION

Fri Aug 27 09:15:13 PDT 1999

From: thomas schroeder <tschroeder at rivnet.net>

John,  I've read all the responses on tightening the packing gland.  You do need 2 wrenches.  After loosening the lock nut you only need to tighten the gland a small amount-maybe a 1/8 or 1/4 turn maybe more but do it in small increments.  the best wrenches I found for doing this job are adjustable packing nut wrenches.  Boat/US has them for about $10 each.  Tom Schroeder   Sabrina 158

alberg30 at onelist.com wrote:

> Congratulations COUNTRYSIDE-ELIST. Our latest ONElist of the week.
> For full story and to submit yours,

> There are 6 messages in this issue.
>
> Topics in today's digest:
>
>       1. Re: conversion to deisel?
>            From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>
>       2. Propeller Shaft Packing
>            From: "John Bailey" <jebailey at freeway.net>
>       3. Re: Propeller Shaft Packing
>            From: owen truitt <alberg30 at juno.com>
>       4. Re: Propeller Shaft Packing
>            From: "John Bailey" <jebailey at freeway.net>
>       5. Re: Propeller Shaft Packing
>            From: owen truitt <alberg30 at juno.com>
>       6. Re: Propeller Shaft Packing
>            From: "John Bailey" <jebailey at freeway.net>

> Message: 1
>    Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:52:15 -0400 (EDT)
>    From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>
> Subject: Re: conversion to deisel?
>
> > Dick Filinich said:
> >
> > Catherine:Two months ago I repowered my 1966#191 alberg with diesel,I
> > did it at minimun expense and have been very happy with my diesel.I love
> > the water and am fairly new to sailing but theres one thing I fear on
> > the water and thats fire.If you plan on selling your boat in a couple
> > of  years then keep the gas engine,if your in it for the long haul and
> > can afford a few dollars get a diesel.e-mail daf at mobiletel.com and I'll
> > tell you how much I spent and what was changed.
>
> Why not post this info the list for everyone's benefit?
>
> --
>   George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/

> Message: 2
>    Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:05:14 -0400
>    From: "John Bailey" <jebailey at freeway.net>
> Subject: Propeller Shaft Packing
>
> I think my propeller shaft is dripping too much.  I'm not sure how to go about tightening the packing.  It would appear there is a lock-nut aft of the tightening nut and that I would first back the lock-nut a bit and then tighten the other.  Is this correct and can it be done by one person.  There is an access plate in the cockpit sole directly above the packing nut and that is where I plan to get access.  There is only room for one hand and I'm hoping I don't have to try to get in the compartment with two wrenches.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> John Bailey
> "Zevulun" #33

> Message: 3
>    Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:12:43 -0400
>    From: owen truitt <alberg30 at juno.com>
> Subject: Re: Propeller Shaft Packing
>
> Yes John, there are two nuts, one a lock nut and the other the adjusting
> nut.    I'm, able to get to mine by removing the spark plugs from the A-4
> and sort of lying across the top of the engine.   BTW, if you don't have
> wrenches to fit, there was an article in the Ches. Bay Alberg 30 Ass'n
> "Mainsheet" that addresses that problem.

> [...]

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
       NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
Apply online today!                http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1