[alberg30] mast-step repair: correct height

Joe Tokarz alberg30 at interactive.net
Mon Aug 9 18:20:26 PDT 1999

From: alberg30 at interactive.net (Joe Tokarz)

Hello all:
I have made some progress in repairing my mast-step on #499. Very soon I
will be at the point where I will need to mount the "pad" on the deck that
the metal mast-step secures to. I have read in the old maintenance manuals
that people have used 1/2 pieces of solid wood laminated to the deck. I
unfortunately cannot use the old fiberglass mast-step-- it is destroyed.

My question is: how do I ensure that the height of the mast-step is not too
high? If the mast-step is too high, won't that cause the shrouds to be too
short? Because I had to recore such a large area (approx 2' x2') I am
worried about having built the deck up too much, and thus throwing the
standing rigging out of wack. Now, the deck appears fair, with only a
slight camber--just like the original. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

 Any ideas?

Thanks in advance;

Joe Tokarz
#499 One Less Traveled

You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com!
If you join ONElist’s FRIENDS & FAMILY program.  For details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html