[alberg30] A-30 owners with diesels

mgrosh mgrosh at shore.intercom.net
Tue Aug 17 17:55:23 PDT 1999

I have re-engined my boat with a Yanmar 2qm 15 (no longer available, but the
2gm is equivalent, being lighter in weight but unsleeved). The increased
torque, as well as the reduction gear, allows for a bigger wheel. The
difference in thrust compared to the Atomic 4 is phenomenal. Fuel
consumption is about <1/2 gal/hr. at 51/4 kts. I run aground a lot gunkholing
(hey, everyone needs a hobby :-) and kedging off is mostly a thing of the
past with the Yanmar. I did install a big strainer(with basket) because
backing full astern blows oyster shell bits into the intake, which then
hulls the jabsco impeller. Problem solved with the strainer.

Michael