[alberg30] Grey Marine Sea-Scout 90/Roller Furling

Brian Zinser bzinser at nmu.edu
Wed Aug 25 05:30:27 PDT 1999

From: Brian Zinser <bzinser at nmu.edu>

I just returned from a very calm, no-wind week on Lake Superior.  Motored
close to twenty hours.  The first night out, I gently ran aground going
into Big Bay harbor.  While backing off at 1700 - 2000 RPMs, I noticed a
dry carbon like substance coming out of my exhaust onto the water. (I'm
concerned for two reasons. One for the engine and the other for fear of
environmentalist slapping a big fine on me.  Thank  God I was not out at
Isle Royale or I would have been thrown in jail!) The rest of the week, I
got  this discharge when I first started the engine as well as when I shut
it down.  My water pump is in good working order with a new impeller and my
temperature gauge continues to indicate normal 110-120 degrees F.  Other
than this problem, she purrs along at 1100 RPMs at hull speed. Is this
condition normal? Or, is something wrong which is not having an effect on
the immediate operation of the unit?

Also, after this week of fickle wind, I'm seriously considering the
installation of a roller furling unit.  Just curious as to which units work
well. Not only brand, but actual model.  There is a big price difference
between sizes.  My sail maker, Inland Sails, happens to be located in the
Harken building in Pewaukee, WI.  I'm sure I'm getting a biased opinion
from him.

Would also like to thank a member of this list who put me in touch with a
fellow Alberg owner in Ontario from which I just picked up a great trailer.

Brian Zinser

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
       NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
Apply online today!                http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1