[alberg30] Rudder and Backing up

Mon Aug 16 06:47:34 PDT 1999

Backing a full-keel boat is always a challenge.  When you're
going forward, the prop-wash flows over the rudder and gives
you a lot of control.  In reverse, it flows over the keel.
Think of this as a very large rudder that you can't move
and you'll understand the problem.

First of all, use the prop-walk to your advantage if you
can.  When you engage reverse gear, the prop-walk will push
the stern to port and turn the boat to starboard.  If you
can arrange wanting to turn in this direction, it'll be
much easier.  Otherwise, you should at least anticipate
this tendency.

Second, don't be too timid with the power.  I'm not saying
you want to roar around in close quarters, but the boat
does need to be moving in order to steer it.  If you try
to be too subtle, you'll be at the mercy of the wind and
current.

Third, use a burst of forward gear to help the rudder
work.  Once you get the boat moving in reverse, you can
give a short blast of forward, not enough to halt the boat
but enough to push water over the rudder, to give you a
little more control.

Jack's given you some good suggestions for getting out of
the slip.  Warping a boat around with lines or using a
midships spring are two time-honored techniques.

As for play in the tiller head, take a close look and see where
the play is occuring.  If the yoke is sloppy on the rudder head,
then shimming, redrilling for a larger bolt, or other techniques
may provide some more life to the fitting.  This has been discussed
here previously, and you may want to look through the message
archives (http://www.onelist.com/viewarchive.cgi?listname=alberg30).

If the head fitting is slipping on the rudder post, you need to
do something to stop that.  Our fitting and rudder post have a
keyway.  I've also seen boats that depended on a friction fit.
If that's the case on your boat, you may want to add either a
keyway or a bolt to keep the fitting from slipping.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/