[alberg30] PHRF QUESTION

Fri Aug 27 09:15:13 PDT 1999

> Rap1208 at aol.com said:
>
> I have a 2 blade prop, which you can
> mostly hide behind the keel.  (If you have marked  the shaft with white paint
> when in the yard, making sure the prop is hidden behind the keel when you
> mark the shaft.  We put the engine in gear, switch off. and bump the starter
> until it lines up, before a race.

I find that if I put the running engine in neutral, while sailing, the
prop generally aligns itself with the keel automatically.  Sometimes
it keeps spinning, so I slowly put the now-stopped engine in gear
to brake it.  By doing it slowly, it tends to align itself, stopping
when the least water is passing over the blades.  When racing, it's
good to check the mark on the shaft, but when cruising, I often just
assume that it's ok with this technique.

 - George

P.S.  If you're racing on the Chesapeake Bay and I'm in the race,
don't use this technique. ;-)

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/