[alberg30] Alternator Question ?

Guy Lalonde guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 3 07:38:33 PDT 1999

From: "Guy Lalonde" <guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca>

Russ,
in my humble opinion.

Check battery voltage with a voltmeter across the + and - battery terminals
with the engine stopped. If the battery is near full charge it should read
somewhere around 12.6 volts, if not near full charge of course it will read
less, the next step will help determine if you're charging or not. This time
with the engine running, take the same measurment. The reading should be
somewhere around 13.7 volts. If so your charging circuit is working and the
ammeter is defective (I'm assuming the ammeter is connected somewhere in the
charging circuit).

Be careful not to run your engine with the charging circuit open (such as
switching your battery selector to OFF while the engine is running) because
you will blow the alternator, all it takes is a fraction of a second.

Last week I bought an interesting book on sailboat electrics which has very
simple drawings and explanations for those like me who aren't that familiar
with these things. It's called "Sailboat Electrics Simplifed" by Don Casey
for about $22 US.

Check it out at:

http://www.internationalmarine.com

Guy