[alberg30] charging - Digital panel meter

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Aug 3 09:30:20 PDT 1999

From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>
>
> Dan,
>
> Is this something based on those ubiquitous LCD meters such as
> Digikey sells?  I've often thought of setting up such, but never
> found one that could operate off the supply that it's measuring.
> Does yours, or do you need a separate battery to power the
> meter?
>
>  - George

George,

Meter center home page ---> http://www.metercenter.com

Pointer below is directly to Datel panel-meter page:

http://www.metercenter.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?config=config.txt&uid=0ZbrpgA1933697289&command=link--da143

I ordered part number DMS-20LCD-0-DCM $30.00 + $1.20 shipping by US
post, took less than a week to get to me. 3-1/2 digit, 6.5-18.0 volt
range. The guy who runs it was very helpful, he included a note that
said that I had not ordered the mounting bezel, but he threw one in
anyway. Bezel is highly recommended, though not absolutely mandatory
(mounting lip on meter is small, but a spring clip is included in case
you don't have their bezel). The unit is self-powered and draws only
3.5mA. An LED ("light up") version costs $5 or $10 more, and draws a
little more current. I used a "nibbler" tool to make the cutout in a 3"
x 3" aluminum plate that fit an existing hole I had in the electrical
panel box where previous equipment had been removed. I have it on the
switched circuit with my depth sounder, purely for convenience of
wiring. Readout is steady even when charging via alternator or trickle
charger, and with sounder on.

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
"Watcher of the Skies," #211, 1966, Ithaca, NY, Cayuga Lake

ONElist members: don't miss out on the latest news at ONElist
Join our community member news update at