[alberg30] Tiller Play

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Sun Aug 8 23:16:38 PDT 1999

From: Daniel Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

John,

I wrote an article in the mainsheet about 2 years ago on a bunch of
restoration work I did on my 1966 A-30. In a nutshell, the rudder fix
involved the following: I tapped the forged tiller-head fitting for the
next oversize stainless capscrew, and tapped the worn hole in the
rudderpost with the same thread. A machinist friend of mine ground the
sides of the fitting flat and square, and filed the inside surfaces of
the "fork" piece attached to the wooden tiller. He then shimmed the gap
with thin stainless washers on both sides. I think I also went up one
size in the allen-head capscrews, but I'm not sure.

Its in its 3rd season of moderate use on an inland lake with that
repair, and no play. It has been a great improvement in the steering
feel of the boat.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week, but send me personal e-mail if you have
any more questions, and I'll respond when I get back.

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
"Watcher of the SKied", 1966, #201, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.