[alberg30] Non-skid deck refinishing

greg vandenberg fashionguy at mailhost.kal.ameritech.net
Mon Aug 16 09:28:05 PDT 1999

From: greg vandenberg <fashionguy at mailhost.kal.ameritech.net>

Regarding your non skid Michael... We used with great success the method of
foam rolling of  Moron (sp) paint (2 part polyurathane) and spreading
(sprinkling) Awlgrip's non skid over the surface to the point of excess. Then
letting that dry ... then vacing off the excess and lastly incapsulating the
surface in one or two more coats of paint. Awlgrip sells two grits and we used
the goarser of the two. It was one of the most suscessful aspects of the whole
repainting processes that we tackled on our own. I got a few more tips if you
want them ... just give a shout.

good luck - Greg

\Michael Stephano wrote:

> From: "Michael Stephano" <mundo at visi.net>
>
> I am a big fan of interthane plus. I have used it for deck and cabin top
> applications on my last boat and plan to re do the decks on present boat.
> put the first coat on the non skid areas with nothing in it and mix the non
> skid into the following coats. The nonskid compound absorbs the paint and
> wears very nicely when done this way. The powder may seem fine but the
> nonskid qualities were very good. The first time I did this was 8 years ago
> and the only reason I did it over was I was redoing the cabin top. There was
> no wear spots even in the high traffic areas after 8 years. A hint that a
> pro gave me was If you have mixed paint left over from the first coats to
> put it in the freezer. This stops the curing process and may be used in a
> day or so without any problems. Good luck.
>
> Michael Stephano
> Hopkins & Bro. General Store and the
> Eastern Shore Steamboat Co. Restaurant
> http://members.visi.net/~mundo/

You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
Drawing is held each week through August 20.  For details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html