[alberg30] Non-skid deck refinishing

Rick Leach RLeach at mbayaq.org
Mon Aug 16 19:15:46 PDT 1999

From: Rick Leach <RLeach at mbayaq.org>

Rick,

I had very good success with the non-skid on my dinghy by following a
suggestion I read about (either Don Casey or Dan Spurr). Their advice was to
use model railroad ballast as the non-skid agent.  This material is
available at any good hobby shop and consists of uniform sized grit that
modellers use to make railroad beds.  It is available in several grades, I
suggest the fine grit.  I experimented with medium, and it made the surface
too aggressive, fine was just right.  It also comes in a variety of colors.
I used a gray that was very close to my paint color so that as the paint
wore and the peaks of the grit showed through, the appearance didn't suffer.
The process I followed began with a coat of paint (or resin in your case,
perhaps) on the area to be skid-proofed.  While this is still wet, sprinkle
the area very liberally with the grit.  Once the paint had kicked, I  swept
up the loose grit (to use again), then gave the area a light vacuuming
before I put down the final coats of paint.  Be aware that a grit covered
area has an enormous amount of surface area, I was surprised by how much
paint it took to encapsulate all of the adhering grit.  The end result has
been in rough service for a number months and it still looks fresh.  I plan
to use this technique when I re-do the non-skid on #121.  I hope this helps,
good luck!

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121

ONElist members, don't miss out on the latest news at ONElist!
Join our community member news update