[alberg30] Cast iron vs. Lead

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Aug 17 15:10:31 PDT 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi gang,
In this lead vs. iron ballast conversation, I am forced to recall the story
of an A30 owner who told of his woes at the feb. maintainance meeting a few
years ago. He bought an A30 that had been badly neglected for a couple of
years, and water had leaked into the encapsulated keel compartment, and the
iron began to rust, expand, and seperate from the fiberglass capsule.  What a
nightmare to repair, but not impossible. Had the ballast been lead, the
problem would not have been as terrible. I tell this story not to be
sensationalist, but as a warning; always make sure the 'floor' of the bilge,
which is the top of the ballast encapsulation, is strong and waterproof, so
water does not get in to the capsule.  A couple of layers of glass might be
good preventative action to keep the area healthy if there are any doubts.
Take care,
Lee
Stargazer #255

ONElist:  the best place to EXPLORE topics, SHARE ideas, and
CONNECT to people with the same interests.