[alberg30] Gray Mar Coil - Spark plug problems

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Wed Aug 18 14:54:25 PDT 1999

From: "Alan P. Kefauver" <apk2 at home.com>

Anybody know if the coil on the Graymarine has an internal resistor or uses an external one? The wire from the distributor to the negative terminal on the coil is a grey tightly coiled wire. Kinda looks like a loose spring. Is this a resistance wire? If so, I am really confused because I thought if there was an external resistor it would be on the positive terminal of the coil. Put on a new coil with an internal resistor (Weller LU-800) and problem is still the same. Plugs tomorrow. The J11J is the same as the J11C (not G), just has a copper core.

Additionally, anyone know what model thermostat goes in the GM engine. the old GM parts list is pretty worthless as the numbers aren't cross referenced in any modern manuals or book of parts.

Thanks all,
Alan

On 8/18/1999 at 1:44 PM Dan Sternglass wrote:

>From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>
>
>greg vandenberg wrote:
>>
>> From: greg vandenberg <fashionguy at mailhost.kal.ameritech.net>
>>
>> I would like to chime in on Alan's woes... I was in a same situation over the
>> weekend... my solution was to change the plugs...

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
For details on ONElist’s NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html