[alberg30] Rudder and Backing up

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 10:11:38 PDT 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

You want to talk about backing up problems in full keel boats?  Back in the
early 70's my dad had a S&S Weekender, a 1939, 35 footer.  She was a great
cruising boat, good sailor and pretty, but she had an off-center prop.  They
did this so they could shove the engine even further aft in the cabin, and
presumably iit was cheaper to instal, but what a bear to back up. Unless you
were heading to the side that the prop came out of, just forget it!!!  But,
being 12, and taking overnights with my dad on board, I still loved that
boat.  He sold her to buy the P sloop, though, so that was OK.  That's
another story.
Regards, friends,
Lee
Stargazer #255

ONElist users:  YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.