[alberg30] Re: raising masts

Tom Sutherland tomsu at uky.campuscw.net
Mon Aug 23 11:46:08 PDT 1999

From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campuscw.net>

OK Lee, here goes ....

     We tie the boat with the mast to be raised to a mooring and raft two other
boats one on each side. It is best to use two like boats  so they will resist
healing about the same, use the stiffest  boats  available ... we have two
Catalina 30's we like to use.

    You want to tie them up with their masts a couple of feet forward of the
mast on the center boat because these two boats will heal in a bit when the
full weight of the mast is on them. Now place a choker line (about a 1/2 inch
line about four feet long with a loop in each end) below the spreaders of the
mast to be raised. Remember to tie a retrieving line to this choker. If it jams
you won't have go up in the chair.

    Now bring the loops of the choker line together and attach a halyard from
each of the rafted up boats to these loops. A spinnaker halyard is best because
it is usually on a swivel block. If you don't have a spinnaker halyard you can
raise a snatch block with a long enough line in it via a main halyard, tie the
main halyard off and use the spare line as your raising line ... this is to
keep from putting your main halyard in motion while the load is bearing off at
an unacceptable angle.

    Now all together raise the mast into place with a grinder and tailer on
each boat while another couple of guys handle the mast from the base and ease
it into place.
attach your forestay and backstay and two  side shrouds. the baby stays can
come last. If roller furling is involved you must be careful with it, but it
never has been much of a problem

    Use proper bowlines  with adequate tales to attach halyards NO
SNAPSHACKLES. Also if it is necessary to hook wiring under the mast, place a
safety block (4x4 wood block will do) to prevent any severed fingers in the
event of a mishap. Taking one down is the reverse of the above. You will be
amazed at how well this goes !

    We have done this for many years without an incident . Before you  try this
please drop me a line with any questions and I will address them ... I put this
together pretty quick and may have left somthing out !

Tom S
A30  #412

FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:

> Hi Tom,