[alberg30] Gray Mar Coil - Spark plug problems

Thu Aug 19 06:12:38 PDT 1999

Here are some comments:
From: ETKFIXR at aol.com
Subject: Re: Can't start new rebuilt eng.
To: atomic4-list at sailnet.com

	[snip]
The idle mixture screw is usually set at one and a half turns out,
this lets in more air.  The adjustable main jet should be around a half turn.
 Good luck, Terry
From: "Jay S. Louden" <vangard at netaxis.com>
To: <atomic4-list at sailnet.com>
Subject: Re: Rebuilt Engine not starting

TK : I don't know about the compression, but the flooding is definitely the
two turns on the adjustable. A mechanic who advised me, said to set both the
adjustable jet and idle jet the same - 1 to 1/1/2  turns out. With that
position of the adjustable jet, I couldn't get the motor to start (when it
had started instantly prior to the carb cleaning) and gas flooded into the
carberator, dripping out the inlet and the flame (!) arrestor. Best starting
position for the adjustable is 1/2 -3/4 turns out from fully seated. IF it
doesn't start from that position, the problem is probably not the jet.

Jay Louden

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/