[alberg30] Re: raising masts

Tue Aug 24 06:07:22 PDT 1999

Tom,

That sounds pretty scary.  We have an A-frame setup in Annapolis that
we use.  This consists of two sectional aluminum pipes bolted together
at one end.  This end also has a 4-part tackle attached.

The A-frame is erected on deck with the feet just aft of the upper
shroud chainplates.  It's guyed fore and aft to cleats.  A loop
of dacron line is tied around the mast and hoisted just under the
spreaders with the tackle.  The tail of this loop is tied to the
halyard winch to provide the lifting power without putting any pressure
on the spreaders.

The free end of the tackle is brought down to deck, through a block,
and back to the primary winch.  The stays and shrouds are detached,
the mast is lifted slightly, and then lowered to the deck with
someone walking the foot aft.

It takes care, especially after the standing rigging is removed,
but three people can drop (or raise) an A30 mast with this rig.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/