[alberg30] CCA Design Suitabilty for Cruising (very long)

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Wed Dec 8 10:34:23 PST 1999

Tom;

Well, well, this should get things going on the list.

I guess our A-37 Sunstone's Line Honours against over 50 boats in our Club's
Open Regatta in '95 beating one for one, X 102, X 95, Comfortina 42, 4 C&C 33s,
a C&C 34 plus a medley of other boats was just due to rating with it blowing 18
knots, in flat water, on a 12 mile olympic course with 2 mile legs.

Oh, I said rating but I forgot this was boat for boat physically beating them
before the rating was factored in with 3 weather legs too boot. Heavens, with
the rating factored in they owed us so much time, I only wish my bank account
was so large.  I guess our friend has never heard of crabbing a boat to weather,
that's how you deal with the increased leeway of the design and not getting
greedy on pointing - foot and point, foot and point.

One thing I'll never forget was the look of joy on the faces of our crew as
Kristen played the traveller  down and up with the full main bladed out and our
25o of heel and full genoa - the first race of the new Joe Fernandes sail
inventory.    With Dirk and Mike playing the genoa in and out in concert to the
main and June's excellent navigating and foredeck work, Sunstone swam with a
bone in here teeth and with the joy of a dolphin.  We shellacked the competition
with their exotic sail cloths as we were in the same division and start.

Certainly, coming into port in an ugly boat is so much more satisfying if it is
a "new and improved" fin keeler with all the joys of spade rudder failure
awaiting and driving the back of the keel up through the bottom in a hard
grounding.  Not to mention pounding going to weather in a chop on the flat
bottom of the hull or moving a piano to the weather rail to keep the boat
tracking straight instead of rounding up  with each gust.

Yes and it is a good thing to see that reel halyard winches were never fitted to
more "modern designs," as if it was a design criteria of Carl's.  No better to
change winch designs every 5 years to make it a challenge to get replacement
parts and thus avoid the risk of a winch wearing out in say 30 years.
We all know the dangers of reel winches, most of us have gotten rid of them as
they are a hazard, but of course only full keeler's had them.

Yes it is true that a heavy rig is a pain in the back to step and unstep, better
to have it come down the fast way.  After all roll moment of inertia is just
some Fancy Dan way to make masts that last longer and therefor will need that
irksome cleaning and TLC from time to time and when it makes an old boat too
stable from those nasty things call waves.

Better to have things slam, bam and get-a-new-one - after all its insured.

All he says must be true after all it is conventional wisdom that modern boats
are superior as there are so many for sale and everyone wants them.

Or:

Perhaps Voltaire was right, "God is not on the side of the biggest battalions,
but of the best shots." ; )

But then I've only been sailing since '65, so I guess he knows more than me
(us), after all he must take his hat off quite a lot.  ; )

John