[alberg30] CCA Design Suitabilty for Cruising (very long)

Forhan, Thomas Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov
Wed Dec 8 11:22:41 PST 1999

From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov>

	Well, the essay does give credit where due for racing - indeed
maintains that the A37 and A30 were designed as racing boats. I think the
general premise - that these old boats are viewed as wholesome traditional
designs by modern eyes when in reality they were built as racing rule
beaters is of some interest. And remember, he was looking at CCA designs as
cruisers today, not racers.

	 I was reading Eric Hiscock the other night, talking about English
builders in the '30s charging by the Thames measurement. The measurement was
most affected by beam, so that by reducing beam and holding all else the
same you could get a similar boat at a better price. Net result- lots of
narrow, deep boats, like the old Vertues, which were some of the first small
boats to go offshore, as a class. So even the classic cruising boats of the
'30s were compromises- well, all boats are.

	Anyone with an A37 looked at a CD36? An A30 owner examined a Alberg
29?