[alberg30] Re: dog house windows

Robert E Johns bobjns at nais.com
Mon Feb 1 12:30:32 PST 1999

From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

Lee, Jacques, Tom, Stephen:

I replaced our doghouse windows with 1/4 inch lexan, probably late 70s or
early 80s. No problems with fogging. I had heard that UV affected the
strength of lexan, but it is so strong to start off with that I don't think
that it is really a problem. By the way, the original plastic I believe was
plexiglas - only 3/16ths inch thick.

When I was trying to decide what to use for the new windows, a dealer cut
two blanks of lexan and plexiglas about 3 inches by 1 inch. He laid the
plexiglas on a padded bench and said to tap it lightly with a hammer. I did
and it shattered. Then he put the lexan down and said to hit it as hard as
I could. Nothing happened to it. Later I was showing it to someone at work,
I put it on a hard workbench and hit it with a marlinspike as hard as I
could. It put a small dimple in the lexan, and I hurt my hand on the knife
handle!

I think that the 1/4 inch lexan is probably stronger than the sides of the
doghouse. As I remember, the sides fit the 3/16 plexiglas fairly well, so
they must be about 3/16 inch thick. If you plan to exceed the strength of
1/4 inch lexan, then you might want to think about beefing up the doghouse
sides also.

Just a thought.

Regards,
	Bob