[alberg30] Used equipment

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Feb 23 09:17:02 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

  Gordon, you have all the fun down there in the Chessapeke!  Up here in NY,
there aren't any places that sell used equipment.  When I was a kid, there
were a couple of places on City Island that sold old gear,  most memorably,
Trader John's, but they have closed down.  What a treat it was to walk down
the crowded isles in Trader John's.  You had to be careful, because a
misplaced step could cause an  avalanche of drogues, winches, throttle
linkages, old bronze galley pumps,  ventilators, and who knows what else.
There was stuff nailed to the walls, and hanging from the ceiling.  The yard
outside was filled with even more mysterious stuff, most notably the bow of an
old sailboat, bowsprit still attached! The forward four feet of the boat had
just been cut off, and brought to the yard! The store is actualy still there,
loaded with the old stuff, but it has never been open when I've gone back and
visited the Island. I might move to your area just for the old gear
establishments, (not to mention your longer sailing season)!
  Take care Gordon,
   Lee Trachtenberg
   Stargazer #255