[alberg30] Opinions on winches

Guy Lalonde guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 25 04:44:17 PST 1999

Hi,

I'm considering replacing my primary winches with self-tailers. Maybe new
or maybe used ones. Right now I have standard 2 speed winches Gibb 16A
which I assume means the power ratio is 16:1, although some manufacturers'
winch numbers relate to a model number rather than the actual power ratio.
Anyhow I find those winches underpowered for my needs. I sail on a river where
the pre-dominant winds are downriver and consequently am always tacking
every 10 or 15 minutes, at the end of a full day's sailing let me tell you I'm tired.

I'm looking for something in the range of 28:1.

I'd be interested in knowing what brand, type (standard or self-tailing) and size
of primary winches the folks on this list have. Any recommendations ?

I've priced new ones and there is a brand called Enkes (which I've never heard of)
which is made in Holland, which is available for several hundred dollars cheaper
than a pair of Harkens or Lewmars. Has anyone ever heard of Enkes, are they
any good ?

Anybody on this list have used winches for sale ?

Guy        Cyrena #466
guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca