[alberg30] Thick hull

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Feb 25 08:53:20 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Dick,
Yes the hull is thick! I had to replace the engine intake seacock and through
hull, and the hull was at least 3/4 inch  thick at that point. It makes you
feel good.  Several Alberg 30's have circumnavigated successfully.  It's a
tough boat!
The masonite seems like it was a good idea for a cruising boat.  When I had
Stargazer surveyed, the surveyer found no signs of delamination in my deck,
except for one spot midships on the side deck on the port side.  There are no
fittings nearby, so it wasn't from leakeage.  We both  thought that maybe
someone heavy had jumped onboard there or something, but in any case, it was a
small area, and needed no treatment.
When you  have your mast out, look at the thickness of  the mast wall. It is
definitely heavier than the average production boat of the size. Tough boat!
Keep sailing for us down there in Lousiana!
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255