[alberg30] rudder tube

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Fri Feb 26 09:10:15 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

FYI,
    The rudderpost tube on my boat had a copper pipe in which the
rudderpost rides, surrounded by about 3/4 inch of fiberglass. Pretty
hefty piece. (We just cut it out to install a stuffingbox on the
rudderpost below where the quadrant will go.)

    Incidentally, for those with wheels, Edson makes a fitting that
fastens to a stanchion to which the wheel can be attached when in port
or otherwise not using the wheel to steer by. It clears the cockpit.
Edson gets $88 for this little piece of hardware. NEW/MAR makes almost
the same piece with the same 1 x 14 thread, as a loran or other antenna
base, for $23 or an even cheaper $7 mount that goes on a flat surface.
Both will need a little extension to hold the wheel.

                                    - Gordon White