[alberg30] Re: rudder / pintle

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Fri Feb 12 10:36:59 PST 1999

I just dropped my rudder (Brigadoon II, A-275) to install a stuffing box
and quadrant for wheel steering. We found the gudgeon [the Mainsheet
calls it the pintle, but I believe this is the gudgeon] (2-piece as per
the drawing of the "newer rudder design " in the Mainsheet, May 1991) to
be deteriorated. The two bolts that held the halves together were
entirely gone as was one of the bolts that held the assembly to the
hull. A couple of brass wood screws had been sloppily installed near the
clamp end, one of the new holes in the gudgeon had broken out the edge
of the thing. In truth, the rudder was only hanging on the shoe and
retained by the tiller fitting. With so much slop, the gudgeon had bent
open somewhat.

    Does anyone know of a source for a new gudgeon (the female half of a
pintle & gudgeon) for the Alberg 30? Though my boat is an older one, the
assembly looks like the "new" version described in Main Sheet. This CAN
be repaired if necessary...

    Might be worth a mention at the maintenance seminar that I will not
be able to make.

    Luck: We found the rudderpost (bronze) already had a 1/4" keyway cut
into it for a quadrant.

    poorer luck: older boats do not have a stuffing box on the
rudderpost.

                                        - Gordon White