[alberg30] Re: First Sail

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Feb 16 14:43:53 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

    Well, Dick, your first Alberg sail sounds just like my first sail,
in a Snipe, in the canals south of Freeport, Long Island NY in March of
1942. As you found, sailing a canal is a bit tough. We washed up on Guy
Lombardo's pier where we were fished out and made a lifelong friend.

    My Alberg has an 18 x 18" Bomar hatch installed as far forward in
the cockpit sole as you can get it. It was put in by a former owner when
he installed a Westerbeke Diesel. You might get some different opinions,
but I find it a great help. I have just put an 8" dia deck plate just in
front of the rudder post to help install wheel steering. Have had no
trouble with the hatch at all.

                    Gordon  White, A-275, Deltaville, VA