[alberg30] Re: Cockpit access panel-done it

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Mon Feb 22 08:47:51 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Jack,
    If Lee does not have immediate access to the boat I can measure
mine. I'd guess it rises about an inch or a little less, but I will put
a ruler on it. I will be by the yard on Tuesday. I see Bomar hatches in
the 1998 West Marine catalog, p. 802. The aluminum frame flange size is
18 1/4 x 18 1/4". $207. [but the 1999 prices may be higher. I ordered an
Edson wheel brake kit, discounted from $160 to $93 in the 1998 catalog
and the '99 catalog came out today and the same kit was $129. I had to
argue to get the original price - which was marked right on it. ]

    Really, I would not put any smaller hatch in than 18 x 18, maybe
larger, so you can crawl in if you need to.

    There are Taylor, Lewmar, Tempress, Beckson, and other hatch makers
in my West Marine catalog. Lewmar says its Trimline model extends 3/4"
above the deck.

    So far I have been able to get a lot of the Edson stuff used or
discounted for my wheel setup. I have also seen these expensive hatches,
used or shelfworn, for a lot less than list. Capn's Warehouse in
Norfolk, Ocean Outfitters in Eastport, MD; Bay Rigging in Deltaville,
Bacon, in Annapolis, and a couple of places on Ritchie Highway in
Severna Park, MD. A lot of the fun has been in the search.

    Maybe the Alberg group could compile a list of used boat equipment
shops and comment on their selections & prices.

                                                            - Gordon
White