[alberg30] Re: access hatch

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Feb 25 07:38:23 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Greg,

Concerning your concern about cockpit sole support once you cut a big hole in
it, you are correct; I did see some sag in the center of the sole from my
weight, and since I was using a plastic hatch, with a plastic flange, as
opposed to an aluminum flange which would replace some of the strength of the
sole, I put that beam athwartships, just aft of the hatch. Stiffened things
right up; was as strong,or stronger, than before. To fasten the beam, I used
1/4 inch slotted flat head bolts, with  those washers that make the flat heads
flush. I think i used 5 across the width  of the sole. I set everything in
5200.

Thanks for the tip on the place in Benton Harbor. I may be going to MI later
in the spring to visit a friend, and if I do, Benton Harbor will be a stop.  I
need  a spinaker pole, and snatch blocks for the genny!

Good to hear from you,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255