[alberg30] Re: More access panel info

Tom Sutherland tomsu at uky.campuscw.net
Fri Feb 26 06:32:26 PST 1999

From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campuscw.net>

Paul .... I don't think you would want to install the cast alum hatch with
glass (too permanent) You could use 5200 with the aluminum hatch in that it
would be possible to apply heat  which softens 5200, if removal would be
necessary. I personally would rather go with either polysulfid (life caulk) or
"marine silicon". Either , if applied properly , should give a proper seal.

The problem with the less expensive hatches is that is time they will loose
their shape (especially the removable lid) and this is where they will let
water in. Also the cheap ones will not maintain the structural integrity of
the cockpit floor. The more expensive "cast Aluminum"
hatches have a replaceable gasket which could in time fail but is easily
replaceable.

when one hatch costs $50.00 and the other costa $300.00 there is generally a
message here !

Tom S
A 30  #412