[alberg30] Re: rigging control organizer

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sat Feb 27 09:57:11 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Greg,
Picky, Picky, Picky. :) Yes I would imagine if the blocks were at deck level
at the mast step, the lines would chafe at the forward end of the doghouse.
But suppose we raise the blocks on springs, the kind you see on blocks mounted
to genny tracks to keep the blocks vertical.  Or mount SS chafe pieces, like
the kind you see on bulwarks, gunnels and toe rails where the anchor line will
cross it, to reduce friction.  How about deck organizers, the batteries of
sheaves mounted in an aluminum frame, like on page 831 of the West 1998
catalogue.  Probably the nylon bullseye fairleads with SS sleeves, on page 845
of West, one per line, mounted on the for end of the doghouse would be the
neatest and most efficient solution, come to think of it.   I would bolt the
fairleads to a strong plank, or sheet of aluminum, and then bolt the plank to
the cabin, to minimize the number of holes you have to drill in the cabin top.
There are alot of things you can do, and the advantages outway the problems.
On that Alberg 22 you keep hearing about, the halyards led to the cockpit (she
had no doghouse, so the lines came out of the mast, went to turning blocks on
deck, and led aft to the aft end of the cabin) and when single handing, it was
a pleasure.  You could raise both sails from the cockpit, and leave the
mooring with ease.  I didn't have roller furling on the jib, but I rigged a
take down line that led aft.  It attached to the head of the sail, ran through
a turning block at the stem head, and ran aft to a cleat on a stanchion by the
cockpit.  When I wanted to drop the jib, I let go the halyard on the cabin
top, and hauled in on the take down line, pulling the jib to the deck, and
then hauled back on the sheet, and the jib was snugged down, and I didn't have
to go forward at all, until I wanted to.  That arrangement worked nicely
(saved my ---) more than once!  If you lead your slab reefing lines for the
main aft as well, then you never have to leave the cockpit.
Just a few thoughts by a winter bound sailor, (I know, I get way too excited
about this stuff)
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255