[alberg30] Re: rudder tube

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sat Feb 27 10:09:19 PST 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Gordon,
A copper tube inside the rudder tube? Those guys at Whitby tried to think of
everything, didn't they!  (Why didn't they make our maststeps stronger!!?!!)
Just a word of caution, which we may have already discussed.  When you are
glassing in the stuffing box to the rudder tube, use lots of layers,
alternating mat and glass, and rough up the surface of the stuffing box to
give the glass and epoxy  a good 'tooth' to hang on to.   I was on a boat
where that wasn't done, and the stuffing box  broke free and was turning with
the rudder post, and was leaking.  Only a friend would tell you.:)
Good luck,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255