[alberg30] First Sail

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Tue Feb 16 17:51:26 PST 1999

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

Short sailing story:Since first week of Sept.I've put in a lot of time
and energy into "High Spirits"to get her into the best shape
possible.This weekend I swore I was going sailing no matter what!Well I
sure picked a good time.Friday a norther hit with 30 kts winds,and I
motored down to Leeville from Galliano,bridge doesn't operate with winds
over 35 kts.Found a good spot over night,next morning set out winds down
to around 20 kts.After I crossed the bridge I hoisted a small head sail
and was flying down Bayou Lafourche,was only to go to marina about six
miles down.Before I got to canal that leads to marina I decided I was
gonna sail to today,in the gulf didn't care how much wind or how rough.I
had a problem ,I was single handed,wind out of north at 20+,already
flying a head sail,and only about 150ft wide of deep water to work in.I
spun her around the first time into the wind,managed to get the main a
third of the way up,boat headed for the bank,tacked into the wind ,back
to middle of bayou,got the main up about half way this time.By this time
my heart was racing a bit,seems like the winds were getting stronger,on
the final attempt I got the main up,then the boat picked up speed headed
aground,I must have a good heart.Once I got her into deep water again
and trimmed the sails we were headed down wind at a good clip,right
through the biggest mess of crew boats,supply boats,and shrimp boats you
have ever seen.Finally reached the gulf 3 or 4 ft chop closer to
shore,set out for a jack up drilling rig 2 miles offshore.Sailed around
the rig and back into bayou nosed into the wind and mud bank,dropped the
sails and motored to marina.Until this weekend I've had a total of 20
hours on sail boats,but my confidence in the boat,that came from all the
e-mail I've read about the a-30,inspired me to sail her in these
conditions alone.Sunday and today had someone with me to hold into the
wind to set sails,snap,like magic.I found the boat to handle and sail
well on all points of sail.She's not a true racing boat,but I found she
sailed pretty close to the wind,and I'm not an old salt at this.I'm very
satisfied with my boat,if it only had a shower.Ha!Ha!Has anyone on
mailing list ever installed bulkhead hatch in cockpit deck to access
engine and shaft etc.West marine has one with 9 1/2 "X 19 1/4 "inside
dim.will anything bigger work.That round metal deck plate just not big
enough for me,in emergency you can't get to anything.Oh! next thing on
my shopping list is a auto pilot.

Dick Fillinich    Galliano,La."High Spirits"#191