[alberg30] Re: Furling

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Mon Jan 4 19:01:27 PST 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Perer Hay,  I bought my a-30 in aug 1987.  She was equiped with a Schaefer
roller furllin gear much like you describe.  Proper tension was hard to
achieve, and the would do well to point 100 degrees.  When I commissioned the
boat next spring I found that the jib halyard block was jammed.  At thst time,
I replaced it with a larger block, changed the wire to rope, and put the
rolled up roller furling in my basement, where it still resides.  I found it
hard to completely furl the sail when there was a  bit of breeze blowing, and
found myself trying to cope with a partially furled sail.   Maybe it just
needed adjustment, but I am more of a racer type, and chose not to play with
the roller furling.
Russ Pfeiffer