[alberg30] Holding Tank

Peter/Michael Hay phay at netcom.ca
Sat Jan 16 10:30:50 PST 1999

Just spending some time reading the manuals that came with my boat.  One of these is from Monogram Industries of Arizona (probably out of business).  The product they made was a 7 gallon recirculating holding tank.  I checked this tank out thoroughly after buying the boat but didn't completely understand it (still don't).  According to the instructions you give the tank an initial charge of 3 gallons and add a compound produced by Monogram. There is no fresh water inlet involved at the head (I have the schematic). The only fresh water is added from the deck inlet which is connected indirectly through the head plumbing.  The material in the tank is recirculated through the head.  This appeared to be working last fall, but there was a lot of fine fecal matter, etc. in the liquid although it did not smell (it just looked awful).  I assume that the waste is being treated via bacteria or enzymes.  I also assume that the treated water is then recirculated through the head to flush out the next load.  The manual does not actually tell you the theory or practice.  It just gives you the operating instructions.  They say that the system should be pumped and recharged every 30 flushes or so.  There appears to be benefits and pitfalls to this system. The tank is under the port berth and is connected to a Junior 51 head.  The valves on the head are frozen so I will replace them in the spring with proper valves.  Of course the head does have a fresh water inlet but it wouldn't take long for this tank to fill using constant fresh water.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this kind of system.

Peter Hay  Rubicon  #384