[alberg30] Re: Furling

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Jan 5 00:31:23 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Peter:
    My feelings on the roller-furling are this: If you are a serious
racer, stay with the jib(s) hanked on the forestay. If you are often a
single-hander, or sail with people who don't like to do foredeck work,
get a roller-furler. It definitely makes things a lot simpler
single-handing to be able to roll the genny up from the cockpit. I
couldn't get along without it now (spoiled) but I don't race. Angela is
not comfortable up forward. Also, I sail in restricted water much of the
time so don't have a lot of sea room to mess around with a jib, in fact
I can sail up into my creek if the wind is SW, as it often is here in
the summer. I have a Furlex, which is inexpensive, I installed it, and
it works.
    George is right about the shape of the sail, so it depends how you
use the boat. I do keep a small jib for heavy weather, which involves
taking the furler jib down and hanking on the storm jib.
                                                            - Gordon
White