[alberg30] Re: Furling

Marjorie Goettle mgoettle at erols.com
Tue Jan 5 09:31:11 PST 1999

From: Marjorie Goettle <mgoettle at erols.com>

Peter,

We have had Harken roller furling on Jubilant since 1993.  Since then,
we have sailed her up to Maine and down to the Bahamas without one jam.
We love it.  Read Beigel did the work.  The forestay was replaced with a
rod.  We have an all rope haylard.

We normally keep a 150 mounted.  When it is rolled out completely, we
can point as well as before -- don't you racers get on me now, we
cruisers don't really notice a degree or 2.  When reefed, we can not
point as high.  It is hard to get a good shape in the sail when reefed.
The sail is very easy to furl.

When we expect heavy stuff offshore or whereever, we take down the 150
by lowering the halyard like one would with a hank on, except the the
sail slides out of the track. We then feed the luff of our working jib
into the track (of course, both sails had to be adapted -- Read did that
also).  It is not hard to change sails, but is easier done at anchor.
As we are "weather window" cowards, so far we have been lucky and cannot
tell you about changing to a storm jib underway.

Without the roller furling, I doubt that we would have sailed out of the
Chesapeake.  Bill has nerve damage in his leg, and it was terrifying to
see him on the foredeck in heavy weather.

Marjorie Goettle
Jubilant #435