[alberg30] Re: rangefinders

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Jan 12 09:08:50 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

    Having raised the subject, here is what I have found: There are
hunters' laser rangefinders, accurate to +/- 1 yard at 800 yards, in the
$280 price range. They look like 7x24 binoculars. Models are made by
Tasco, Simmons and Bushnell. (Cabella's catalog)
    There are image-stabilized binoculars (not rangefinders) by Canon in
the $600 - $1,300 price ranges, to 15x45. (Orion Co. catalog)
    And of course night-vision binoculars by ITT, available from
Cabella's and marine supply houses.
    I tried surveyors' supply houses and apparently surveying lasers
have been supplanted by GPS. There are optical rangefinders of far less
accuracy.
                                                        - Gordon White