[alberg30] Re: Going the distance/measurements

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Jan 14 03:54:05 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Jacques:

On my boat (#275) I get 179 inches from the aft side of the mast, along
the top of the boom plus 19 inches from the end of the boom to the
backstay, a total of 198 inches or 16 ft 6 inches. Keep in mind this was
measured with the winter cover on and the boom might have been off of
level,  though it looked level as far as I could tell. I was doing this
by myself, so had to hook the end of the tape on the aft end of the boom
and bring it up to the mast. I would give it an accuracy of +/- 1 inch.

Greg:
    On my boat the jib sheet block tracks are 18 inches long. From the
forestay to the forward end of each track is 173 inches (14 ft 5
inches). The forward end of each track is 12 inches from the outside of
the toe rail and the aft end is 15 1/2 inches from the outside of the
toe rail.
    The center line of the track at the aft end is 41 inches from center
line of the boat. This last measurement is a little suspect since I had
to measure from the center of the boom and eyeball the center line of
the track from above. The boom could have been off-center (though not
much since it is tied to the backstay) and without a plumb line I could
have had some parallax in eyeballing the end of the track.

    It is of course possible that different boats have different
measurements by a small amount.

    One could do this better in the summer! No snow here on the Bay, but
fog with about 1/16 mile visibility, dripping light rain, about 35
degrees. The boat is on stands in dry storage at the moment. It's nice
to sit here nice and warm and dry in my 2nd floor office and watch the
diving ducks on Wooldridge Cove.

                                                            - Gordon
White