[alberg30] Re: Boom Gallows

Jacques Guerette jguerett at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Jan 19 12:12:18 PST 1999

From: "Jacques Guerette" <jguerett at nortelnetworks.com>

I haven't thought much about the adjustability aspect, though I can see some
advantages to doing so.  It could be elevated to support the boom at the
dock or anchor to give more headroom.  It could be lowered to be part of
cockpit enclosure or to simply attach a helmsman awning.  I'm sure there are
other good reasons, like hanging "stuff".

I've spent more time thinking about ensuring it is a solid stable structure.
It seems to me (in the absence of any hard information) that making the
gallows the width of the cockpit coamings (perhaps even braced to them) is
the right width, and thru-bolting to the deck with a fore or aft brace is
probably OK.

I'll stress again this is all highly theoretical.  You don't see a lot of
gallows where I sail and I've only read a few bits and seen pictures of
them.

George D.'s comment about a boom crutch is an interesting approach.  I
personally am not interested in a crutch because it reminds me too much of
the dinghy I used to sail.

Jacques