[alberg30] Re: Boom Gallows

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Jan 19 14:08:04 PST 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Greg:

    The hoop is stainless tubing, 3/4" or maybe 1", attached to the deck
with linch pin fittings so it can be easily moved or removed. (It is
made so it just clears below the boom. It stows ok temporarily just
leaning back against the stern rail, but I detach it to lay it flat. It
has to be passed past the main sheet)  There are two nylon straps about
1-  1/2" wide that go around the hoop (there are two openings or notches
in the aft end of the awning where it zips on to the hoop for this) The
other ends of these straps then go around the aft-most stanchions for
the lifelines with rings and hooks so they detach easily and buckles so
they are easily tightened or loosened.

    When stowed the awning wraps around the hoop and a zippered bag
covers it up so it stays wrapped. You could use some other way to secure
it but this works.

    When you put it up you take off the bag, unwrap it, zip the forward
end to the dodger and unwind the  straps and hook them in place and
tighten them up. Very simple and secure, though of course not in 40
knots of wind.

    Both ends of the awning have nylon zippers so it can be zipped on to
the dodger and off the hoop if you want to, say,  wash it.

    I don't know how I got along without the dodger. I came up the Bay a
couple of years ago in a strong norther right on the nose, in pouring
rain, by myself. Without the dodger it would have been unmanageable. As
it was the autopilot got salt water in it and went haywire and I had to
steer all the time. Was a problem when I had to use the head.

    Of course we get even more baking sun here in Virginia and in the
summer with little wind, the awning is really needed.

    This was the outgrowth of an idea I found on another Alberg but we
improved it quite a bit. You can even zip on side curtains and keep dry
in the rain, though it's hard to sail with the curtains down.

                            Hope this helps.

                                                Gordon White A-275