[alberg30] Re: Laminate Removal

Tom Sutherland tomsu at uky.campuscw.net
Thu Jan 21 17:41:01 PST 1999

From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campuscw.net>

Thomas,

    When I replaced the laminate on the galley and icebox of #412 I felt it
necessary to remove the respective tops which were composed of 1/2 in. plywood.
I wasn't sure if I would use them as a pattern to make new ones , or remove the
old laminate and recover the original ones.
    As it turned out I used a rather stiff putty knife and pried the old
laminate off, filled any voids where the plywood came off with the laminate
with West Epoxy and sandable filler . sanded it smooth and  recovered with a
new "white frost" Wilson Art laminate. I was real pleased with the results. It
really brightened up the interior of the boat.
    I also put the same laminate on the bulkhead above the icebox, as well as
above the galley side. I did not cement the vertical portion in place but
rather secured with finnish washers .....it really looked quite nice and
contributed to brightening the interior up of InCahoots up.

Tom S
A 30  #412
InCahoots