[alberg30] Re: gallows, boom

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sun Jan 24 04:08:58 PST 1999

Greg,
    I have to think that any number of yacht yards, riggers, etc. stock
stainless tubing such as is used for pulpits, stern railings, etc. I
know the stainless fittings, while not cheap, are a lot less than you
were quoted for bronze. I also know there are various places that have a
lot of boat junk that would have both bronze and stainless items. Bacon
in Annapolis is one, though hardly dirt-cheap. Tom Maroldy would know
about Solomons. You might scout around where you are. There is one in
Irvington, near me. There are lots of people who make dodgers, awnings,
etc.
    While bronze is quite yachty and my schooner had bronze fittings and
tubing, I suppose stainless matches the other Alberg 30 fittings. I had
to replace the gallows after a severe storm and the mahogany cross piece
was the most expensive. Dimensional wood like that is not cheap, but
there are suppliers in Wooden Boat Magazine.

                                            - Gordon White A-275

(and apologies to those who got my question about the silence for the
past two days. Obviously there was nothing wrong in hyperspace)