[alberg30] Re: Transom Ladder

Miabarchet at aol.com Miabarchet at aol.com
Thu Jan 7 18:39:15 PST 1999

From: Miabarchet at aol.com

I mounted a transom ladder when we first purchased Barchetta Mia about 8 years
ago.  I looked through the current Boat US and West Marine catalogs and could
not find the model I have. I believe it is the 5 step model rigid ladder by
EEZ , 1998 Boat US catalog pg. 204 (picture not shown) . The ladder I have
folds twice, at the top hinge, and at a hinge just short of half down. I
believe the ladder comes with a pair of clamp on standoffs. The problem is the
standoffs need to be lengthend and held rigid (braced) as the clamps slip and
the standoffs tend to spread apart as weight is applied. I lenghtend the
standoffs by removing the plastic ends and pressing in aluminum I bar stock
turned on a lathe. They are braced with 1/8 " strips of stainlees sheet metal
running diagonally to the fixed standoffs.

I tie a line to the lowest rung and the stern rail then hoist it up and strap
it to the stern rail when sailing.

I hope this helps. If you have questions feel free to write or call at 315
483-6282 after 4pm.

Jim Allocco
Barchetta Mia #565